Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Easter Eggs!

Easter is this weekend as almost everyone should know.
I love Easter! When I was a kid Rabbits were my favorite animal (I had over 100 bunny things)
You know when you find out Santa Claus isn't real and it make you question everything?
Ok that moment happened when I found out the Easter Bunny wasn't real. I was devastated.
But I have grown out of the sadness of this experience and grew to love Easter again.
Even though Rachel and I do not have kids yet we still enjoy dying eggs ^_^
Rachel said, "I will never grow up!"

We found some interesting egg dying techniques on pinterest and decided to try them out

Stuff you need:
Vinegar (white or apple cider, it doesn't affect the color)
food coloring
Cups
Water
paper towels
Olive Oil
Shallow plate
Hard boiled Eggs


1 cup of water, 2 tbsp vinegar, and 3-5 drops food coloring for each cup.
We threw a couple eggs in the cups to make plain colored eggs.


This first method is one my brother and I created on our own.
Rainbow eggs!

Start off by putting a bit of vinegar onto a paper towel.


like so


Using the 4 pack of food coloring we got, we did a drop of food coloring in this order:
Red, yellow, green, blue, and red.


Set the egg on the paper towel and rotate it until the entire egg is colored.


*Warning* this will dye your hands!


This next method we found HERE
Marble eggs!


We poured some color from one of the cups and added 2 more drops of food coloring.
added about 1/2 a tbsp of olive oil. (Don't add too much oil or the color will not stick well)


And swirled the egg around!


Oh, we messed up the purple dying cup somehow and the egg turned out this ugly grey color.
We dropped some red food coloring on the egg we had in it and dunked it back in the "purple" for about 10 second.


This was the result! Lava egg!


Lava egg, rainbow eggs, and solid colors.


This next method we found HERE.
A rubber band Technique


Put some rubber bands on your eggs (tight or the lines will not be solid) and dunk in the color of choice.


You can add more rubber bands and dunk in different colors.


Using the same technique as my rainbow egg we made some tye-dye eggs.

Our Easter Eggs this year.


The rubber band technique was an fun one that I think can be used when decorating with children to make some interesting eggs.

The oil Marbling technique we might not suggest for kids unless you give them a bath right after. The oil was annoying to clean off the eggs without loosing some color.

And my rainbow eggs you may want to wear gloves to make, but they make some really cool eggs.  

This was a great way to bring back some fun childhood memories,
and learn some new ways to decorate eggs.

Happy Easter from your Pandas!

Pink hair Rachel!

No comments:

Post a Comment